Oh dear.

Feb. 6th, 2009 02:54 am
cwicseolfor: The writer doing her best Nimrodel impression (albeit in a dress of blue), seated on rocks over a waterfall and pool, watching the fish. (Default)
[personal profile] cwicseolfor
The brilliant Ursula V. posted a little tidbit about her reluctance to use the Welsh word "awen" to patch the gaping hole in English in the vicinity of divine inspiration, due to it being a favored term among the neo-pagan druidic communities, but I think I have no such reluctance - she herself admits it's something of a religious experience, that haunting of the muse, and I myself experience it in that fashion - I once noted in a paper that the Western experience of mad divine inspiration is very much the fire counterpart to the water of the much-lauded Eastern experience of zen, with passion in place of calm - nonetheless, it's something of a possession. But the best part of the word to me was its etymology; "inspiration" is indeed the ideal translation, in its archaic form with the connotations of breath and wind as divine attributes.

But I'm in relative disarray - I've not been up this late in a month - so I'll end this here.

January 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627 28293031

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 20th, 2026 06:44 pm

Tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios